Use this powerful January 12 prayer to read and reflect on now, or save it for later.
If you’d like to receive these prayers daily, with a worksheet, please sign up here.
Bible verse for January 12 Prayer
“If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well.” (Matthew 6:30-33)
Reflection Questions for your January 12 Prayer
1. At the end of the passage above, it says “all of these things will be given to you as well” (emphasis added.) It is not simply that if we seek His kingdom, what we need will be given to us; that would make it a barter type of situation, where we give one thing and expect something else in return. In actuality, it is greater than that. If we seek God and His kingdom first, these things will be given as well. It is almost an afterthought because it is incredibly obvious to the author that these things will be given to us, but we will get much more than that. What spiritual blessings do you believe you have received from God from seeking His kingdom?
2. A friend of mine spoke at a retreat once and explained that she started waking up at 3 am to seek God. She explained that in God’s kingdom, everything is upside down. Instead of being afraid of things such as not getting enough rest, or having less time to do other things, she truly sought Him first. By seeking Him first, everything else started to fall into place and solve itself without her having to worry about the things she worried about at first. Now, this doesn’t mean all of us need to wake up at 3 am, but what is one step on your journey with God that you could try to take without worrying about the repercussions?
January 12 Prayer
God, speak to me today and show me a new way of looking at the verse “Seek first his kingdom.” How do you want me to apply that to my life today? I am praying a bold prayer that this verse is shown to me in a new light, and may I take the bold steps of following you. Amen.
Find more prayers like this in our January blessings post- and a 30-day Bible reading printable!
Would you like to be featured on Pray With Confidence by writing one of our Prayer for the Day devotionals like this one? Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information!
- Stepping out in Faith (Three Things God Wants You to Know)
- Discover the Joy of Prayer Walking
- Prayer for Transformation
Jessie Synan is a Master’s student in Theological Studies who helps other women find their prayer focus in a distracting world. She went from her ADHD interfering with her prayer life to finding her own unique rhythms for prayer and encouraging other women to do the same. She is the founder of Pray With Confidence, which has helped over 5000 women focus on prayer through the real and vulnerable advice she gives to those on her email list when they sign up for the free guide “How to pray [when you can’t focus.]”