Do you have a heart that wants to pray but sometimes you don’t know what to pray?
Do you find that sometimes you are feeling overwhelmed or so anxious that you don’t even know how to start praying?
Or, at times, you find a quiet place, sit intending to pray but you find it hard to keep your mind from wandering?
This was me and sometimes it still is how I am about prayer but a few years ago when my son was very young, God showed me an awesome powerful way to pray! He taught me how to pray scripture, which is the powerful word of God!
Throughout this post, I hope to show you how to pray scripture. It is a powerful tool to add to your prayer time. When you pray scripture, it strengthens your faith and enriches your devotional time.
I have prepared a printable for you to download to help you put in to practice what you learn here. We will look at various ways you can pray with scripture and take a look at the example that Jesus taught us with the Lord’s Prayer.
Did you know that the Bible is the best prayer manual that you could ever own? The Bible shows us how to pray and what to pray. There are whole portions of scripture that are suitable to pray word-for-word as your own prayer.
You can also personalize scripture in prayer.
Another way to pray scripture is by praying through various topics of the bible. There are numerous scripture plans available on different topics and you will find quite a few at my website, www.scripturalgrace.com. You will also find a wide selection of reading plans at www.biblegateway.com. If you click on the study tab on their menu bar at their website, you will see a drop down menu with a variety of options to look up scripture on different topics, bible reading plans and more.
Tips For Learning How to Pray Scripture:
- Select a portion of scripture that is meaningful to you, that you feel speaks truth into your life. The Psalms are a great place to start!
- Ask God to speak to you through scripture as you read the bible verses. Note the ones that speak to you the most and turn it into a prayer. Praying scripture back to God is a powerful tool because you are praying His words that He has spoken back to Him. You will know that you are praying God’s will and it strengthens your faith muscle. When you pray this way, it also is showing honor to God.
- Jesus taught us how to pray in Matthew 6:9-13. It is also known as the Lord’s Prayer.
The Lord’s Prayer
When you look closely at the verses in Matthew 6:9-13, you will notice a pattern set for prayer which includes praise, confession, thanksgiving and intercession.
“This, then, is how you should pray:
‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name your kingdom come, your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.” (Matthew 6:9-13).
Praying scripture in the pattern that Jesus set in the Lord’s Prayer has truly blessed and deepened my prayer life. I am going to show you how I pray like this. I have prepared a free printable that you can download from the Scriptural Grace Library. You will find it HERE.
In this printable you will find a template that I use daily in my prayer time. It has four sections in it. The sections are divided into praise, confession, thanksgiving and finally intercession.
There is a place to put the date and space to record the bible verse you are using for each section. I have selected 10 bible verses for each section as an example of how to pray.
It is only a guide and you can use it in a way that suits your needs best. You can just record the scripture you are using or turn it in to your own unique prayer. So let’s get started!
Beginner’s Guide on How to Pray Scripture
At the beginning of your prayer time start with a scripture of praise. I have selected 10 bible verses to help you with this discipline. When you focus your thoughts on God and who He is through praising Him, you will begin to view your circumstances through the character of God rather than through your own situation.
This will take your eyes off of anything that is a burden to you and put your focus on God who is your problem solver!
Here are 10 bible verses perfect for guiding you through a time of praise. This list is also included in the prayer printable for your convenience.
- John 3:16 For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
- Psalm 106:1 Praise the Lord.Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Psalm 119:68 You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.
- Psalm 34:15 The eyes of the Lord are on the righteous, and his ears are attentive to their cry;
- Jeremiah 33:3 Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.’
- Isaiah 55:8-9 “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,”declares the Lord.9 “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
- Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.
- Psalm 89:8 Who is like you, Lord God Almighty? You, Lord, are mighty, and your faithfulness surrounds you.
- Philippians 4:13 For I can do everything through Christ, who gives me strength.
- Romans 11:33 Oh, how great are God’s riches and wisdom and knowledge! How impossible it is for us to understand his decisions and his ways!
When you have had some time of praise, move on to a time of confession. Ask God, the Holy Spirit to reveal any part of your life that is not pleasing to Him. Sometimes you might be aware of unconfessed sin and at other times you may not realize that you have sinned.
Just remember that God loves you. He desires to have fellowship with you. So don’t fret at having this time of confession with God.
However, unconfessed sin will block your fellowship and communication with God. So don’t leave out this important step.
Here are 10 bible verses to guide you in a time of confession.
- 1 John 1:9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.
- Proverbs 28:13 People who conceal their sins will not prosper, but if they confess and turn from them, they will receive mercy.
- Micah 7:18 The earth will become desolate because of its inhabitants, as the result of their deeds.
- 2 Chronicles 7:14-15 if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.
- Philippians 1:6 being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus.
- 1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
- 1 Timothy 6:11-12 But you, man of God, flee from all this, and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
- John 15:5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
- Hebrews 4:16 Let us then approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
- Ephesians 5:15-16 Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity, because the days are evil.
This time of prayer will be so good for your heart! This time of thanksgiving causes you to stop and count your blessings and to remind you how present God is in your life. It gives you an attitude of gratitude!
When you express your gratitude to God, you are expressing confidence in God’s plan ( even if it turns out different to how you might expect it ) This stops fear and discouragement from creeping into your heart.
Here are 10 bible verses to guide you in a time of thanksgiving prayer.
- Psalm 118:21 I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.
- Psalm 103:11-12 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
- Psalm 107:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his love endures forever.
- Isaiah 30:19 People of Zion, who live in Jerusalem, you will weep no more. How gracious he will be when you cry for help! As soon as he hears, he will answer you.
- Job 42:2 “I know that you can do all things; no purpose of yours can be thwarted.
- Lamentations 3:21-23 Yet this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail.They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
- Colossians 2:6-7 So then, just as you received Christ Jesus as Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him, strengthened in the faith as you were taught, and overflowing with thankfulness.
- Psalm 73:25-26 Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
- Psalm 63:6-8 On my bed I remember you; I think of you through the watches of the night. Because you are my help, I sing in the shadow of your wings. I cling to you;your right hand upholds me.
- Psalm 118:24 This is the day the Lord has made. We will rejoice and be glad in it.
This last part of your prayer time is where you lay your burdens down at your Father’s feet. We are told in Hebrews 4:16 that we can boldly approach God’s throne of grace with confidence, so that we may receive mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need.
You are an intercessor when you bow in prayer before God and make your requests or petitions to Him.
My favorite way to do this is to pray with scripture verses. The bible is full of scripture that you can use for various purposes. A powerful way to pray scripture over someone is to insert their name into a verse.
When you do this you are praying God’s words back to Him and you are also praying God’s will for that person. This discipline will strengthen your faith and instill hope in your heart.
Here are 10 bible verses that I have selected to give an example how I pray scripture over my friends, son and husband. I even pray them over myself too! I also have added these bible verses to the prayer printable.
- I pray that ________will enjoy good health and that all will go well with him/her. 3 John 2.
- Thank you God, You have redeemed ___________and called him/her by name. She/he is yours. When she/he passes through the waters (trials, temptations) be with him/her. When she/he passes through the rivers, do not let them sweep over him/her. When she/he walks through the fire, do not let him/her be burned. Isaiah 43:1-2.
- I pray that_______’s identity will be firmly rooted and established in Christ’s love, and that________ may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge, that she/he may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. Ephesians 3:17-19.
- Let ________be filled with joy given by the Holy Spirit. Let _____ be joyful always, pray continually and give thanks in all circumstances, for this is your will for him in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 1:67-8.
- Keep ______ from all harm. Watch over his/her coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121:7-8.
- Put a hedge of protection and blessing around_______and everything she/he has. Job 1:10.
- Surround _______ with friends who will sharpen him/her as iron sharpens iron. Proverbs 27:17.
- Shape_____into a friend who loves at all times.Proverbs 17:17.
- Don’t let _______become weary in doing good. Let him/her know that at the proper time he/she will reap a harvest if he/she does not give up. Galatians 6:9.
- Father fill ______ with the knowledge of Your will through all spiritual wisdom and understanding, that he/she might live a life worthy of You Lord, and please You in every way. Colossians 1:9-10.
I hope you enjoyed reading through these tips on praying with scripture.
Find a quiet place with your favorite cup of coffee/tea etc., Bible and a favorite pen.
Pray as you write a scripture from the list of praises, confession, thanksgiving and intercession.
Listen for the Holy Spirit speaking to you.
During your time of praise- just worship God and enjoy His presence.
During your time of confession – confess whatever God brings up in your heart and ask for forgiveness.
Most important: make an appointment with yourself and God everyday for your prayer time at the perfect time that suits your schedule.
I enjoyed writing this post to encourage you. Don’t forget to take a look at the prayer printable that is in the Resource Library at Scriptural Grace, HERE.
God bless, Karen.
Karen is the creator and designer of Scriptural Grace. She is living in the south east of Ireland. She designs with scripture on products that will encourage you as you live an intentional Christ centered life.
Karen is passionate about scripture and writes about growing your faith through monthly scripture writing plans and daily devotionals in her Restoring Beauty For Ashes Facebook Group.
Check out the free Resource Library that contains the devotional eBook Light In The Darkness, wall art, topical scripture plans and more!
Wednesday 19th of January 2022
I love this,just what I needed at this point in my life.
Thursday 2nd of July 2020
I found this very helpful. You hear about praying scriptures back to Christ Jesus, but this will be my blueprint to get me on a good foundation. Thank you very much.
Thursday 2nd of July 2020
I'm so glad we could help you with a blueprint!
Tuesday 14th of April 2020
Beautiful scriptures and prayer tips. This is indeed very helpful
Friday 24th of April 2020
Thank you Hannah!